Are you looking for a cake recipe with a Caribbean twist? If you are, then you need to check out this Bajan pound cake recipe by Xardija’s. Pound cake is different from regular cake, yet uses some of the same ingredients as you will soon notice once you follow the instructions given, let us know what you think.
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 ½ Cups White Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
½ Teaspoons Salt
½ Lb Vegetable Shortening
½ Lb Butter
1 Cup Full Cream Milk
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees and grease baking pans
2. In a large bowl using a standing or hand mixer, cream butter and shortening together
3. Add sugar slowly and cream with butter mixture until smooth
4. Add eggs one at a time. Make sure all the eggs are well mixed
5. In another bowl mix all dry ingredients together. (flour, baking powder, salt)
6. Add dry ingredients to mixer alternating with milk. Starting and ending with flour mix.
7. Add vanilla extract
8. Pour into greased pans and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on the size)
9. Test with a toothpick, once toothpick is clean the cake is finished.
10. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool while in the pans
*This recipe can also be used for making Rainbow cake. Separate mixture into 4 equal parts and add food coloring and mix as desired.