If you have a sweet tooth for pastries but want a healthier alternative, then this Bajan multigrain health loaf recipe is something you need to try. This is another great recipe from Xardija’s and I am sure anyone that follows these instructions correctly will enjoy this delicacy.
3 ½ Cups Multigrain Flour
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
¼ Cup Baking Powder
2 Cups Honey Granola
2 Cups Grated Coconut
1 Cup Raisins
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Tbsp Coconut Essence
1 ½ Cups Pure Cane Sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
1 Tsp Nutmeg Powder
½ Lb Margarine
½ Lb Shortening
1 Cup Oats
1. Preheat oven to 330 – 350 degrees grease and flour your baking pans
2. Mix all dry ingredients together (sugar, flour, salt, coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon)
3. Add margarine and shortening crumble to a breadcrumb like texture
4. Add raisins and/or cherries (optional)
5. Add all wet ingredients (essences)
6. Knead your dough until the mixture is well blended and firm. If necessary, add water or flour for desired texture.
7. Mould dough about ¾ way into pan
8. Brush the top with light sugar water and sprinkle with oats
9. Bake for 35 – 45 minutes until golden brown. Insert toothpick to test, upon removing it should be clean.
10. Remove from pan and let the bread cool before cutting.