Today, let’s talk about one of Barbados’ best-kept secrets – our incredible golf courses. Whether you’re a seasoned golfer or just looking to hit a few balls while soaking in some tropical vibes, golfing in Barbados is something you’ve got to experience. Picture this: sun-kissed fairways, stunning ocean views, and that unbeatable Bajan hospitality. Let’s tee off into the world of golfing on our beautiful island!
1. Barbados: A Golfer’s Dream Destination
Barbados might be known for its pristine beaches and vibrant culture, but our golf courses are the hidden gems waiting to be discovered. With a variety of courses catering to all skill levels, the island is quickly becoming a go-to destination for golfers from around the world.
2. World-Class Courses with Breathtaking Views
- Sandy Lane Country Club: This is the crème de la crème of golfing in Barbados. Home to the world-renowned Green Monkey course, designed by Tom Fazio, it’s a golfer’s paradise. The lush, rolling fairways and the stunning view of the Caribbean Sea make every round unforgettable.
- Royal Westmoreland Golf Course: Designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., this course is a challenge for any golfer. With its undulating landscape, strategically placed bunkers, and views of the coast, it’s a true test of skill and a feast for the eyes.
- Apes Hill Club: Known for its elevated location and panoramic views, Apes Hill offers a unique golfing experience. The course is beautifully designed, winding through natural gullies and coral stone quarries, making it as challenging as it is scenic.
3. Affordable Public Courses: Golf for Everyone
For those looking for a more casual round or working on a budget, Barbados has got you covered too:
- Barbados Golf Club: This public course in Christ Church is an excellent option for a relaxed, enjoyable round. It’s perfect for golfers of all levels, offering a mix of challenging holes and more forgiving fairways.
- Rockley Golf Course: Another great option for casual golfers, Rockley is a 9-hole course that’s both affordable and fun. It’s also a fantastic place to take lessons if you’re new to the game.
4. The 19th Hole: Bajan Hospitality at Its Best
What’s a round of golf without some good food and drink afterward? The clubhouses in Barbados are known for their friendly atmosphere and excellent cuisine. Whether you’re craving flying fish cutters or just a cold Banks beer, the 19th hole is where you can relax, share stories, and enjoy the Bajan vibe.
5. Golfing Events and Tournaments
Barbados hosts several golfing events throughout the year, attracting both local and international players. These events are not just about the competition; they’re celebrations of the sport, featuring parties, music, and plenty of local flavor.
6. Golfing with a View: The Unique Charm of Coastal Courses
One of the most striking features of golfing in Barbados is the breathtaking coastal views many courses offer. Playing a round as the sun sets over the Caribbean Sea is an experience you won’t find anywhere else.
7. Golfing Holidays: Making the Most of Your Stay
Many visitors come to Barbados specifically for golfing holidays. Resorts like Sandy Lane and Royal Westmoreland offer golf-inclusive stays, making it easy to enjoy multiple rounds during your visit.
8. Eco-Friendly Golfing: Playing with Respect for Nature
Barbados takes pride in its natural beauty, and this extends to its golf courses. Efforts are made to maintain these courses in eco-friendly ways, ensuring they blend harmoniously with the island’s environment.
9. Tips for Golfing in Barbados
- Book Tee Times in Advance: Especially during the high season, it’s wise to book your rounds ahead of time.Rent or Bring Your Gear: Most courses offer rental clubs, but you’re welcome to bring your own.
Dress Appropriately: Remember, golf courses often have dress codes, so bring appropriate golf attire.
- Stay Hydrated: The Barbados sun can be strong, even on the fairways, so drink plenty of water.
10. Beyond the Course: Exploring Barbados
After your round, take the opportunity to explore the island. From stunning beaches and historic plantations to lively fish markets and rum distilleries, there’s so much more to Barbados beyond the golf course.
11. A Family Affair: Golfing for All Ages
Many courses in Barbados are family-friendly and offer lessons and clinics for young golfers. It’s a great way for the whole family to enjoy the sport while experiencing the beauty of the island.
A Hole-in-One Experience
Golfing in Barbados is more than just a game; it’s an experience that combines sport, nature, and culture. Whether you’re here for the golf or it’s just one part of your Barbadian adventure, hitting the links on our island is something you’ll always remember.